Wednesday, June 1, 2011

U.S. Olympic Wrestler Brings Camp to UWG


For the sixth time, former U.S. Olympic wrestler Ken Chertow is bringing his camp to Georgia, and for the third time it will be held at the University of West Georgia.

Ken Chertow’s 22nd Annual Gold Medal Training Camp System will be at UWG June 2-6.

“It’s great facilities, great area for wrestling. It’s been really well-received by the wrestlers in the area,” Chertow said. “We did it in Atlanta for a while, and it was successful, but we decided to bring it out to West Georgia’s facility. It’s really tremendous.”

Chertow, who wrestled in college at Penn State, competed in the 1988 Olympics. After his competing days ended, Chertow stepped into coaching.

Chertow was an assistant coach at Ohio State before returning to Penn State on John Fritz’s coaching staff. While he was successful at the collegiate coaching level, he discovered something. He liked working with even younger grapplers.

“I just love wrestling, and after the Olympics and my competitive career was over, I decided to throw all my energy into coaching and the logical direction to do that was in college. I coached college at Ohio State and also Penn State,” Chertow said. “It went very well, and I enjoyed it, but during that time I found out I like working with kids more. I like working with teenagers and youth wrestlers.“

Read more: Times-Georgian - Wrestling camp returns to Carrollton

No comments:

Post a Comment