Tuesday, April 6, 2010

UWG Grad Found Confidence, Experience


Jazma Parker did not always have the tools necessary to succeed easily accessible to her while growing up. Instead Jazma learned at a young age that if she wanted to achieve a better life for herself than the one she was raised in, she would have to make it happen on her own. Growing up in housing projects in Marietta, Ga., Jazma refused to let her environment define her future.

“I always had the confidence in myself to know I was going to be successful, it was just a matter of setting realistic goals for my self, and finding the best ways to achieve them,” Jazma said.

In high school Jazma’s priorities were geared towards planning her future, not a common trait in many high school students. She actively searched for scholarships and grant programs that would help secure her future goal of going to college.

“I never tried to think of all the bad things around me, I was focused on surrounding myself with positive people who were doing positive things.” Jazma said.

Due to her hard work, and determination Jazma was accepted to a couple of different colleges and universities in Georgia. Turning down schools like Georgia Tech and Savannah State to come to the University of West Georgia, was a decision she made based on which school could best accommodate her plans for a career in the field of law enforcement.

“I came to UWG because its criminology program stood out among the rest, “ said Jazma. “The criminology program at the school gave me the necessary skills I could use in the field, as well as the in class learning that was necessary to become knowledgeable about my major.”

Jazma graduated from UWG in August 2009, and she feels she has taken away a wealth of knowledge and experience that will give her confidence in any job choice she makes. She also finds comfort in the fact that she met professors along the way who will serve as mentors for her in her future career endeavors

No comments:

Post a Comment